I finally have something to blog about.....

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Chemo treatment #5 today.  I expect my dad to sleep much of the day away tomorrow and Friday.  He has been having a rough time emotionally, I think he is finally beginning to process the idea of stage IV cancer.  He called in tears on Sunday but wasn't really able to articulate why he was upset.  Luckily Thomas loves talking to him on the phone. I put the call on speaker and gave the phone to Thomas. He dragged the phone all over the house while he jabbered to Grandpa.  When I got the phone back, my dad felt better, a little 2 year old humor can really lighten the mood.

Today he called me from the chair while he was getting the chemo, and I could tell he was sad. One of the nurses had shown him the schedule for the chemo for the rest of the year and he found out that he is on it until the end of the year, because his cancer is "progressive".  We had been told pretty clearly at the beginning that he would have to be on chemo on and off (mostly on) basically forever.  That is what happens when you have such an advanced stage of cancer, and is the only way to give him more time on this earth.  While my brother and I understood that from the getgo, I realized today that he really didn't.  I did my usual, "look on the bright side" speech.  "You are feeling better than you thought you would, and are able to go about your normal activities, and drive, and see your grandchildren" etc etc.  I could tell that this time the speech didn't really help much.  

Another week and then he has two weeks off, so I'm hoping he continues to feel ok so he can enjoy that time.
We will be with him this weekend,  this Father's day is going to be more meaningful than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment